He was High Sheriff in 1613. Robert de Legh, ancestor of the Leghs of Adlington, Annesley, Eggington, Its 50 years old and in need of some architectural and retail TLC, but fundamentally its Ok. Thats a side isssue, but Merseyway is built on the site of Adlington Square and in the 17th Century Adlington Square was a the area in town where the Gentry congregated, being was comfortably far enough away from the bustle of the marketplace and traders near St Mary. The ride to Disley (four miles further) is very pretty. of the family. After the conquest it passed to Hugh Lupus, Earl of Chester, a nephew of William the Conqueror. During the 1740s, Charles Legh transformed Adlington from a medium-sized Tudor manor into a large Georgian house. 10. The Servants Hall contains an extraordinary son of Nimrod, who lived to a great age, and could boast of having gone out with five generations of the Legh family. He was therefore succeeded by his nephew Fleetwood Legh, who died without male issue, being succeeded by his brother, Peter. After the Norman conquest the Hall was given to Hugh Lupus, the second Norman Earl of Chester and remained in their ownership until it passed to the crown in 1221.

5. of Bedford Square London then from De Corona bequeathed the estate to Ellens son, Robert. If you are using an Ad-Blocker, it might have mistakenly blocked our content. In total there were over 4,000 books for sale, there were also paintings by John De Witt, De Heem, Frans Hals and Van Dyck. Dorothy daughter of Geoffrey Shakerley of Hulme. Kinderton, alive in 1300. Take a look at our current opportunities. of Knutsford Booths some time before 28 Edw. quebec genealogy legh richard While rebuilding his house, Charles Legh also built stables and a brew house to the east. The road from Buxton to Manchester leads over the lowest point of Combes Moss, the top of which towers to our right, and the lofty summit of Axe Edge may be seen to our left, upon which the Macclesfield road winds. The earliest reference a to property is a mention in a lease of 1445 to the Brokerbryge beside the tenement of Robert Legh of Adlington (c1410- c1479) . He was succeded in business and at Torkington by his son, John Emmett Barlow (1857-1932) who diversified into coffee plantations and rubber. In what was effectively a war of spite against the land owners of the day, the NCB commenced such a mine at the Wentworth Woodhouse Estate near Rotherham, which continued up to the early 1950s, causing the loss of woodland and subsidence in the building. The Domesday Book listed it as Edulvintone. such as those of Lyme Park, Adlington, West John Legh was a younger son of William Please click the "Downloads" icon in the Safari toolbar, open the first download in the list. Adlington Hall is home to several residential property lettings. The young ladies were schooled in French as well as ensuring that their Christian upbringing was respected. The west side of the quadrangle was then filled in or rebuilt with a ballroom occupying the whole length of the first floor. which contains family notes from a devotional book. (1316) and 1338. The gardens are on the National Register of Historic Parks and Gardens and are graded II*. to be living in 1338. who died in 1804, built it in 1745 to replace an older timber-framed quadrangular This part of town was densely populated, and there were 10 houses on each side of the street, as well as 159 on each side of Chestergate. VI (1438) was killed in the

1752, became a barrister and died The other sides pourtray the rest of this historical fable. 22 June 1724, married 20 October 1744 Sir John de Legh of the West Hall, High Legh. Urian Legh was knighted for his services in taking Cadiz in 1596. He may even have been the architect. Escape the hustle and bustle of everyday life and experience our gardens for yourself! Stuart Raymond, in Cheshire: A Genealogical Bibliography, Vol. series 1, 1906, 135-6 It was not returned to the family until 1656 after heavy fines had been paid. SJ 765779) was the seat of the Leghs of Booths until sold in 1917. + (1300). He had three wives and the estate descended to the son 7 March 1845. in 1849. In 1843 Henry Pearson bought the Joseph Dales works and established his Square Mill there. He was eventually interred in Macclesfield. In 1892, John became liberal MP for Frome, Somerset, which seat he kept until 1932. family is descended from the John de Legh of Booths shown above in generation He we obeyed the order to ring and a very respectable middle aged female soon made her appearance and led us across the square, up a flight of steps to the Great Hall, which we found well lined with paintings by ancient and modern artists, and adorned with curious specimens of armour amongst which is part of that worn by Sir Perkin Legh at the famous battle of Crecy, AD 1346; for his valour on which occasion Edward the Third knighted him, and gave him this estate. This time it had to be surrendered to the Parliamentarians in order to prevent severe damage. Thomas left 124,583 in his will (16.3m in 2020). 3. Aston. In February 1644 the house was again besieged. Handel stayed at the Hall whilst on his way to Dublin to perform the Messiah, Charles Legh (1697-1781) was a firm friend and Handel is said to have played the organ at the old Poynton Church, before staying the night at Adlington. His son, also Charles got into trouble with the police in 1863, being fined 5s (25p) for being drunk and disorderly outside the Agricultural Hall in London. Ann, daughter of Sir William Boothe, Knight, of Dunham Massey. 8 March 1715/16.

Some years after the dissolution of the monasteries, Thomas Legh the tenth in succession acquired the rights of the Manor of Prestbury, together with the advowson of the Church and the tithes. 12. They had During their time at the Hall they suffered a dreadful flood which caused the aforementioned beautiful piece of water, along to the three metre wall by the kitchen garden, and round to the main road, causing it to collapse, killing six young people between 12 and 19 years old, of whom five were luckily, the paper noted, in a burial club. However, he did not live in the house for long, and in 1811 the Lodge was advertised as a Genteel Residence on the great road to London, just three miles from Stockport for let in the Chester Chronicle of 30 August 1811, and we are lucky to have a contemporary description. Another, where he has fallen a victim to his romantic attachment Cupid from a rock near appears to be mourning over his hapless fate. At the top of the long road (as it is called), nearly two miles from Buxton, we attain an elevation of seventeen hundred feet above the sea level. privacy policy, GB/NNAF/F88290 (Former ISAAR ref: GB/NNAF/F4473 ). Robert de Legh the fourth in succession was preparing to take part in the Battle of Agincourt but died of pestilence ten days before the battle. The south and west wings were later destroyed by fire, leaving the East Wing as the only surviving Tudor part of the house. Booths was purchased in 1300 from William de Tabley by John Legh, ancestor was born 20 November 1827 Fortunately the Hall and grounds survive in the hands of the National Trust and we can visit today, Cheshire Notes and Queries, The Advertiser Office, 1888. William Legh of Booths, Sheriff of Cheshire in 1636 According to the Lysons, The whole valley forward on the right appears filled with cotton, dying and bleaching mills; and here too commences the immense Manchester coalfield. The west front, facing the river was built in a circular form, with large bay windows facing the river. A large brick barn, which forms the present Hunting Lodge, was added in 1817. We'd like to use additional cookies to remember your settings and understand how you use our services. John was a Barrister, his son Peter inhertited the estate and served as Deputy Lieutentant and High Sherrif of Cheshire. Thomas Pennington Legh of Booths. He is also claimed to have been inspired to write the Harmonious Blacksmith, on hearing the rhythm of the village smithy at Adlington. He was twice (High) Sheriff of Cheshire. Thomas Legh, born 20 Nov 1746, died Calcutta 17 Nov 1790 and buried there, no issue. John He died unmarried in 1857.

The family took a town house in Adlington Square. 2 includes Database of Historic Parks and Gardens: Adlington Hall |accessdate=2008-03-11 |publisher=University of York ] There were deer at Adlington until the outbreak of the First World War. He was High Sheriff in 1613. 1. Thomas Barlow (1825-1897) founded Thomas Barlow & Brothers, exporting cotton goods from the UK to Calcutta, Shanghai and Signapore and imported in return tea and coffee. Peter Legh, born 10 June 1794, Your input will affect cover photo selection, along with input from other users. {{::lang.NameEnglish}} - {{::lang.NameNative}}, {{::mainImage.info.license.name || 'Unknown'}}, Succession of the Legh family of Adlington, {{current.info.license.usageTerms || current.info.license.name || current.info.license.detected || 'Unknown'}}, Uploaded by: {{current.info.uploadUser}} on {{current.info.uploadDate | date:'mediumDate'}}. + It is quadrangular in shape, though the west side might have been open, whilst on the south side there might have been a detached gatehouse with a bridge over the moat.

You can help our automatic cover photo selection by reporting an unsuitable photo. The lessee would also have sporting rights over the manor and the property was being offered at a moderate rent, the chief concern being to find an eligible tenant and that tenant was Captain William Fowden Hindle of the Dragoon Guards, during his tenancy he coated the front of the house with plaster. They had six sons and six daughters of whom In 1315 Thomas de Corona granted it to his sister Ellen who had married John de Legh of Booths, with remainder to Robert, their second son and his heirs. Robert de Legh the third in succession was knighted during the reign of Richard II. Venables of Bradwell by his wife Agnes, daughter and heir of Richard Legh John Legh of Booths, Esq., son and heir, died 23 Edw. There were many treasures collected over the years at Adlington, but on the death of another Charles Legh these were put up for auction on 16-21 February 1846 at the Exchange Dining Rooms in Manchester, the auction included many antiquarian books dating back to 1590. Joseph lived at the Mansion House with his wife Sarah Newton, the daughter of a local attorney at law, whom he married on 19 March 1775. The staircase, dining room and drawing Room were left intact but the ballroom was replaced by a narrow gallery above an arcade built round the west side of the quadrangle. The situation of Lyme Hall from the Manchester Road appears dreary, and the park which is stocked with red deer, is more like an uncultivated waste; the house however is a noble structure and the materials with which it is stored are of the deepest interest., which will well repay the visiter for the distance he has come. Thomas died before this but Richard II granted the manor of Lyme Handley to Margaret Danyers, his daughter. The elegant church of New Mills is seen to the left before reaching this place, and the road is excellent. as a source Legh of Norbury Booths Hall, Cheshire, by J. Paul Rylands Introduction to Cheshire Gentry. Peter Pennington Legh, baptised 26 Nov 1745, buried at Hackney about 1777, no issue, 11. The Misses Hughes stayed at Norbury until around 1857 when they vacated the premises and moved to Park Road in Didsbury. Battle of Blore Heath, 38 Hen. Sir John Legh of Booths. The building is quadrangular and handsome, the stone used in its erection is a white coloured gritstone, no doubt originally obtained from quarries in the neighbourhood: it is ornamented with colossal and other figures of the same material; and whether taken for the beauty of its architecture, or its general noble and majestic appearance, it cannot fail to excite the imagination of the beholder. She was born in 1288. Some of these books are now in Chethams Library in Manchester.

third son, born 25 May 1749, died of whom the first two, died without issue He lost Adlington Hall in December 1642 but regained it later. 3. The gardens are on the National Register of Historic Parks and Gardens and are graded II*. we follow the eldest son. The family had it as a dower house and town residence. Early in the thirteenth century, the manor passed to the de Corona family, who lived there for four generations. He also sat as Justice in Eyre.Robert de Legh, the second in succession, was one of the Black Prince's Esquires. Tel: 01625 829 206 / Email: admin@adlingtonhall.com. Hughs son Thomas had no issue, so gave it to his sister, Ellen, who married John De Legh in the 14th century, and so the Legh family began their long ownership of the property which stretches to this day. married secondly. It was further altered in the 19th and 20th centuries. Robert de Legh the third in succession was knighted during the reign of Richard II. Bricks were burnt in kilns in the park and roofing flags were from the quarry at Kerridge. unmarried, buried 18 January 1824 Some years after the dissolution of the monasteries, Thomas Legh the tenth in succession acquired the rights of the Manor of Prestbury, together with the advowson of the Church and the tithes. In another room is a most singular article of antique furniture a very curiously carved four-post bed said to be that in which the Black Prince slept during his stay at Lyme: which reckoning only from the death of the brave Plantagenet would make it above four hundred and sixty two years old! 1727/8 and died 12 August 1804. + Robert subsequently held the position of bailiff of the Hundred of Macclesfield, and took care of the Kings Forests there. + Adlington Hall was originally surrounded by a moat. + There was a pleasant setting with a long garden which reached down to the Mersey, with stone steps down a rock face. However, not so favoured by the Duke Of Lancaster who had him beheaded in Chester on August 10 1399, and his head fixed on the East Gate. On the death of Charles Legh in 1781 the direct male line of succession failed but the succession continued through Charles' niece Elizabeth Rowlls who assumed the surname of Legh by Royal Sign Manual.NotesReferencesCharles Legh, Adlington Hall, English Life Publications Ltd. 1987, ISBN 0 85101 257 4J.P.Earwaker, "East Cheshire: Past and Present" Volume II, London: Printed for the author, 1880George Ormerod, "History of Cheshire" vol III, second edition, revised and enlarged by Thomas Helsby, London, George Routledge, 1882Brochure, Adlington HallExternal links* [http://www.adlingtonhall.com/home.htm Adlington Hall official website] * [http://www.thornber.net/cheshire/htmlfiles/adlington.html More photographs of Adlington Hall and details of Legh family history] * [http://www.baroque-music-club.com/Adlington.html Adlington Hall and Handel] * [http://www.prestburycheshire.com/cartmell.htm History of Prestbury]. Thomas Legh was appointed High Sheriff of Cheshire in 1588. He was also close friends with Henry Campbell Bannermann and a fervent promoter of free trade. Thomas Danyers distinguished himself above all others on rescuing the Standard and capturing, Tankerville, Chamberlain of France, and for this he was awarded an annuity of 40 marks per annum until a convenient grant of land could be made. Back to list of families In February 1644 the house was again besieged. He established water powered silk mills nearby. This predates Stockport Grammar coming onto the site when Alexander Lowe endowed property to the school in 1607 and they moved into Adlington Square. The Adlington Leghs originated when Robert de Leigh (1308-1370) inherited the Manor of Adlington from his mother Elena De Corona (nee de Bagueley) and became Lord. These were completed in 1749. (Ann This time it had to be surrendered to the Parliamentarians in order to prevent severe damage. three sons and a daughter. The projecting bays at either side of the South Front were pulled down. The previous building is first mentioned in 1465 but that was demolished when the current house was built. The oldest part of the building dates back to 1480, and further work was done on it in 1581. Stockport: A Pictorial History, Roy Westall, Amberley 2009,2013, The History of Stockport Grammar School, Including the Life of Sir Edmond Shaa, Kt. But we anticipate. A large brick barn, which forms the present Hunting Lodge, was added in 1817.In 1928 much of the west side of the quadrangle was demolished. The most curious object is a full length picture of the Black Prince in complete armour, There are also two of the said Sir Perkin Legh; one isn his armour, the other in a Court Dress. An extension you use may be preventing Wikiwand articles from loading properly. In one of the chambers the walls are lined with ancient tapestry, still very fresh and perfect. and of London. The land was owned by the Legh family of Adlington. Here scarcely anything but bleak moors meet the eye of the spectator. The summary includes a brief description of the collection(s) (usually including the covering dates of the collection), 12 Anne Legh born 7 June 1793 married William Clowes, died April 1855. Willoughby Legh, Esq., of Booths, To the north of the house there is a maze of English yew planted in 1996, with a unicorn (emblem of the Leghs) at the centre. 3. This transformed the building from a Tudor house to a fine Georgian Mansion, and on the southern wing there is an inscription to Charles and Hester Legh, dated 1757. Peter Legh of Booths, Esq., born 4 March 1824 of Booths. Legh of Booths, heir in tail to his nephew, aged 30 in 2 Ric. He was known Peter Legh, For faster navigation, this Iframe is preloading the Wikiwand page for, Note: preferences and languages are saved separately in https mode. It was restored in 1958-9.After the Great Hall had been built, the rest of the house was built by another Thomas Legh, the tenth in succession, in 1581, probably in the Cheshire black and white style. 16 March 1826. Peter Thomas Legh the twelfth in succession was twice High Sheriff of Cheshire and a Colonel in the Royalist Army during the Civil War. A West Wing was added containing a staircase, dining room and drawing room with a number of rooms at the north-west corner. Adlington Hall is a manor house in Cheshire dating back to Saxon times. Lyme Handley is first mentioned in the late 14th century. In 1315 Thomas de Corona granted it to his sister Ellen who had married John de Legh of Booths, with remainder to Robert, their second son and his heirs. four sons and four daughters. It was attended by the same medical staff as at St Marys and a uniform fee of five guineas (5.25) was charged for patients, and the patron of the hospital was no less than Mrs Clementine Churchill, the wife of Winston. Margaret lived on for 30 more years. The Deer Park was to the south west of the house.The Leghs of Adlington* Robert de Legh (1308-1370)* Robert de Legh (1330-1382)* Sir Robert de Legh (1362-1408)* Robert de Legh (1386-1415)* Robert de Legh (1410-1478)* Robert de Legh (1428-1487)* Thomas Legh (1452-1519)* George Legh (1497-1529)* Thomas Legh (1527-1548)* Thomas Legh (1547-1601)* Sir Urian Legh (1566-1627) * Thomas Legh (1593-1644)* Thomas Legh (1614-1687)* Thomas Legh (1644-1691)* John Legh (1668-1739)* Charles Legh (1697-1781)* Elizabeth Rowlls Legh (1728-1806)* Richard Crosse Legh (1754-1822)* Thomas Legh (1795-1829)* Charles Richard Banastre Legh (1821-1888)* Caroline Mary Florence Legh (1873-1940)* Cynthia Combermere Legh (1896-1983)* Charles Francis Legh (1922-1992)* Camilla Jane Corona Legh (1960-The first Legh of Adlington, Robert de Legh, was a descendant of Gilbert de Venables, who had come to Britain with William the Conqueror. The transition is striking and deeply interesting. Some of the original features remain, including the Wilderness which has the domed circular Temple to Diana and the Shell Cottage, whose internal walls are decorated with shells, pebbles and coloured mirrors. Today, within our Great Hall you will still find the great organ, Englands most important 17th century musical instrument. We are going a little way outside Stockport today, but the Legh family did see Stockport as their home, having houses at Adlington Square and the Three Shires. (de Figueiredo and Treuhertz). of his third wife. + Jane, daughter of Sir William He built a new West Wing, including a ballroom occupying the full length of the first floor. Those who decry Merseyway (and I am not amongst them, I used to enjoy going there in the days when it was bright and futuristic), have to remember that it replaced a slum and mills in the centre of Stockport. Peter Legh of Booths. The 1851 census shows 342 people living on the Square. To the south of the house there is a Yew Walk originally planted in 1650 and a Lime Avenue planted in 1688 to celebrate the accession of William and Mary to the throne. Brereton of Brereton. 9. In 1346 the Cheshire Cavalry were engaged under Edward, the Black Prince at the battle of Crecy. The son and heir, Sir Peter Legh fought at Agincourt in 1415 but died in Paris in 1422, and was buried in Macclesfield. To the house belongs a garden, a coach house and other suitable outbuildings and also six statute acres of land. Here good accommodation may be obtained for parties at the Rams Head Inn, kept by as worthy a Boniface as ever lived, Mr Atkinson, who has the privilege of supplying his friends with tickets to view the Hall, the distance to which from his hostelry is about a mile and a half. In the gardens, you can discover seventeenth century follies and tackle the English yew maze. 6. It is quadrangular in shape, though the west side might have been open, whilst on the south side there might have been a detached gatehouse with a bridge over the moat. You will need to temporarily disable your Ad-blocker to view this page.

Isle of Wight, heir to his The Helen, daughter of Sir Willoughby Aston of Gilbert We place some essential cookies on your device to make this website work. He assumed the name of his maternal grandfather It was not returned to the family until 1656 after heavy fines had been paid. He was twice (High) Sheriff of Cheshire. of Edmund Davison of Wharton in Lancashire

He sailed from Parkgate on the Dee which was to be the end of the first Manchester Ship Canal. Between 1942 and 1946, the House was lent by Cynthia Combermere Legh (1896-1983) to St Marys Maternity hospital of Manchester, and during those years there were 997 children born to the wives of soldiers, sailors and airmen and operated under the name of St Marys Services Maternity Hospital. Today the Lodge is owned by the Council and occupied by the NHS. Cheshire Notes & Queries, Volume 8: The Advertiser Office, 1888. + 1st wife of Sir John was Maude, John Legh, Esq., fourth son, initially The Leghs of Adlington were a separate line of decscent from those of Lyme.. Adlington is just past Poynton on the Macclesfield Road, and as you can see the hall stands in extensive grounds. He also sat as Justice in Eyre. three sons and a daughter and died He is mentioned in Domesday. Sir William He took holy orders and died at Lyme. Isabella, daughter and co-heiress Thomas Legh was appointed High Sheriff of Cheshire in 1588. Married St. Dunstans, and died 1641. In the middle of the eighteenth century the gardens were landscaped in the style of Capability Brown.

We were charmed with the situation of Disley and its beautiful lake, ancient church and sweet scenery.

Edmund Dawson Legh, MA, born 2 The hospital was open for the wives of officers and men in the services who would have normally attended at nursing home or private ward , but whose means were limited by the war.